CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Comfort in Cupcakes

These past couple of weeks have been a whirlwind of emotions. I'm realizing that as much as I think I like change, it's not exactly where I am naturally comfortable.

Two weeks ago my husband was laid off from his job. We were completely blindsided by the job loss, you always know it's a possibility, but because Aaron is in finance he usually sees it coming. This time, no warning. This has been a huge change for our family, we have been in this place before, but nothing can fully prepare you for such a hit.

Two weeks before Aaron was laid off, I started working about 9 hours at a cupcake shop. I would go in early in the mornings before my family was awake and bake cupcakes and muffins and scones. Something I have always loved to do. It was a fun way for me to have a small contribution to our savings and indulge my creative side. This job is such a blessing, little did I know that it would be helping us to pay our bills and fill in the gaps that unemployment leaves.

For now, I am the bread winner...cupcake winner? My boss has been so accommodating to our family. I am working half time right now and in one week it will be full time. I am learning that Gods provisions are not always easy, a blessing, but not easy. In a matter of days I went from full time homeschooling, stay at home mama of four to working full time outside of the home. I am so thankful that Aaron has this time with the kids, he has taken over as their teacher and organizer of our household. He does an amazing job juggling this while searching for a job.

I am praying daily for a grateful heart. We have a warm home, beds to sleep in, food to eat, lights on, water to drink...but it's change. It's been a big change and this mama is missing her babies and the normalcy of life that I had just a few weeks ago. God is teaching me so many valuable lessons through this. The obedience of prayer and trust for the unknown; struggles I admit I have. This will be a journey for our family, one that will strengthen our foundation. It will take a little help from this village and our obedience and dependence on our Shepherd. Though it has been difficult, to say the least, I am thankful for the opportunity of absolute dependence on Christ. Shouldn't it be this way all the time?

I will post some pictures of my cupcakes, scones, and muffins...these little gems that bring some comfort to our family.

6 comments:

Kelly

Made my mom get a Pecan Pumpkin Muffin today and she was in heaven......keep em' comin'!!! When I worked this summer, it was a huge change and it was hard being at work, wondering what the kids were doing, wishing I could be doing things with them....but, it was wonderful for them to be with dad doing different things or with the grandmas. Change can be hard, but usually brings unexpected blessings! XOXO

Sarah

You are an amazing mama, wife, friend and now baker =) Change is hard, but you are doing such a great job. So proud of you!!!

Kristie

I know first hand how difficult it is to have the unexpected thrown at you. Stay strong and He will prevail! What a wonderful blessing it is to have your job! I can't wait to try one of those muffins and cupcakes. Love you!

Sally

I'm proud of you, Jolene. You are doing great things for your family. You will get through this, my friend!

Jolene Brown

You all are amazing support, thank you so much. xoxo

Tim and Kari O'Brien

The beautiful, singing baker! We can't wait to see you soon. We are so VERY proud of how you are all facing these new challenges so gracefully! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo