CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Ashes, Sunshine, and Snakes

We are absolutely loving this glorious sunshine in the Pacific Northwest, usually during this time of the year we are experiencing a lot of rain and some occasional snow, but, this is Oregon and you never know what weather you are going to get. Love it!

Yesterday, we started our day with an Ash Wednesday service at George Fox. It was beautiful. The service ended with the opportunity to have ashes marked across your forehead (to sum it up- an outward symbol of repentance as we enter into Lent). Before we went, I explained to the kids what Ash Wednesday meant, what it meant to have the ashes on your forehead and if they wanted to do it they could, but did not have to. I was overcome with emotion as I watched my two older boys walk right up to have the ashes put on them, and then afterward to hear in their own words what that meant to them was precious. So much wisdom in these young souls.

After we were done with the service, we went to the Tualatin Wildlife Refuge. What better way to end Ash Wednesday than enveloped in the beauty of God's creation? Or any day for that matter. It was SO beautiful out! We packed a picnic lunch and ate looking out over the river, the clean fresh air filled our lungs and brought color to our cheeks. It was so refreshing!







" We found something!! Mommy come look!!!"
" Snakes!! We found snakes!!!" ".....Oh...that's great...!"


"Ryan, our snakes are friends!"
This is my nervous hurryandtakethatpicturenowsoicanmove smile. I was very close to that snake. Now my eyes are watering, my armpits are burning, I'm sweating, Aiden is squirming, and Anna is asking "Mama are you okay? Do you love snakes?" This is about where I needed a little paper bag to breath in. I tried to keep my cool because I want my kids to enjoy animals of all kinds without taking on the fears of their Mama, but wow, I wanted to run screaming. So after 30 minutes (!!!) or so I said "Okay, let's say goodbye to the snakes, they need to go back to their home..." and we were off on our hike back to the car.....

...with some very worn out and content kiddos. Oh what a day, it was so much fun (snakes included). Another day of living the dream with this precious family of mine. It makes my heart happy!

3 comments:

Sally

BEAUTIFUL photos! Love the one of Anna with the dandelion and OH TOOTHLESS RYAN *adorable*!!! Tyler on the bench was darling... and the 5 of you at the bridge was so precious. Ack at the snakes... I'm sure you loved that LOL! I'm so glad we went and had fun! I am looking forward to going back on a sunny day like you did!

Tim and Kari O'Brien

I love the photos of your outdoor day in February...even the snakes were out to enjoy the sunshine! Did you name your new pets?!!

Jolene Brown

Yes, I named them 'SICK!' and 'GROSS!' to pronouce them you have to yell. :-) When Ryan asked for a pet snake I said "Sure, but it has to stay at Nana and Papa's!" You're welcome, Mom. xo