CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Inauguration Day Through The Eye's of a Five Year Old

Did you watch the Inauguration today? It was pretty inspiring! We watched it with some friends during playgroup at our house this morning. The younger ones were more into the toys and sliced apples for snack, but this afternoon I had quite the conversation with Ryan about this special day. Here's how it went:

Ryan: So Mommy, today was a pretty big day for Barack Obama.

Mommy: It sure was, did you watch him on TV at school?

Ryan: Yep, and I cheered for him and sang a song for him.

Mommy: That's great! I got to watch him too with Tyler and Anna.

Ryan: Mommy, I think you voted for the bad guy, I voted for Barack Obama. It's okay though because my teacher said that Barack Obama says he will still be your president.

(pause....really?! How does my five year old son know about all of this, and since when does he have such a strong political opinion let alone quote a speech that will be apart of our history forever?)

Mommy: Well Ryan.....(thinking of how to make this a learning experience and not good guy vs. bad guy thing) There were no bad guys to vote for, there were two great guys, and Obama is a very kind person.....(here Ryan interrupted and said "you mean BARACK Obama".....because even though there were people that didn't vote for him, or maybe didn't like him at first, he said he still wants to take care of them...and that's how God wants us to treat people.

Ryan: Yep, I know, that's what my teacher told me and that's why I voted for the good guy. Did you know that Barack Obama has a wife and her name is Mrs. Obama? :)

(apparently we aren't getting past the good guy thing)

Mommy: Yes, she is pretty cool. We'll have to look up more information about their family when we get home. (mommy is still in shock that I have just had a political smack down.....by a five year old)

Tyler: Well I get to go to swimming lessons tonight. :)

Anna: Uh huh!

And that is how our inaugural conversation went down...I'm sure there will be more this afternoon!

5 comments:

Tim and Kari O'Brien

What a wonder...just like his Mama!

Sally

Oh my! I'm laughing so hard I'm crying! I totally *heart* the profound words that come out of the mouths of a 5 year old. LOL

Jolene Brown

haha I have to say I couldn't BELIEVE the strong opinions coming from his mouth, but it made me proud. I have been laughing about this conversation all day. :)

Jojo

Thank you for re-creating the important conversation between our wise granddaughter & wise great grandson. Much love, Jojo

Anonymous

I love how he says Obama's wife's name is Mrs. Obama : )